ECAWA News

Associate Professor Dr Paul Newhouse

Sad news – Paul Newhouse

ECAWA

Dear ECAWA members

In the absence of Dr Jenny Lane our President, who is overseas on university related duties, I share the following very sad news.

Today we learnt that a senior member of our Association and mentor to many Western Australia computing teachers, Associate Professor C Paul Newhouse PhD suddenly passed away.

Paul was a member of the Educational Computing Association of Western Australia from its earliest days, and as a very long-standing member of the executive he provided wise counsel and guidance to many committee members, the association at large, and many Western Australian Teachers and student teachers.

Paul’s energy, support and commitment to education, educational computing, technology education and computer supported learning environments is widely recognised and highly valued within state, national and international forums.

The role that Paul had in the shaping and developing the Digital Technologies Curriculum and ICT General Capability is also widely recognised within Australia.

Many Western Australian Computing teachers may remember the computing texts authored by Paul and / or co-authored with his colleague and friend Ron Oliver during the 1980’s and 1990’s, and be aware of his leading work and research in online assessment.

He will be sadly missed by all who knew him, as a kind and gentle person.

On your behalf, the committee will extend condolences to Paul’s wife and family.

Further news and funeral arrangements will be advised at a later date.

Ian

Ian Gaynor
Immediate Past President – ECAWA
Board Member, Treasurer, Australian Council for Computers in Education

ECAWA
The Educational Computing Association of Western Australia (Inc)

Download the Letter:
https://ecawa.wa.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Letter-to-ECAWA-Members-November-2017.pdf
I set out to encourage children to realise their God-given potential to be decision-making, empowered, responsible, and relational people. This requires an understanding of self and environment including others (culture and community etc.). In our society that includes having an understanding of technology, particularly computer technology. C. Paul Newhouse PhD.

2 Comments.

• Vale Paul Newhouse

It is with great sadness and surprise that I hear of Paul’s sudden passing.

As Ian said, Paul has been a stalwart of ECAWA for the over 25-30 years I have been associated with educational computing and his contribution to the field, as an academic, author, practitioner, thinker, mentor and colleague have been profound.
    He was genuinely one of the ‘nice guys’ and I count myself lucky to have been fortunate to work with him on various projects during this period.
    His passing will surely be missed by many…
    Condolences to his family for whom this must have been unexpected.
    I look forward though, to the opportunity to pay my respects in person once the funeral arrangements are announced.
    Given Paul’s contribution and the level of esteem in which he is held, whatever the venue, I’m sure it will be full to overflowing…
    Rest In Peace Paul.
    Your efforts have left the world and future generations of children so much better off.
    Thankyou.

Regards to all

Brett Clarke, MACE, MACEL, AFAIM, MACS CP
    DipTeach, BEd, GradDipComp, Cert IV(Training & Assessment)

e: brett.clarke@mac.com
    v: +61 (0)428 915 485

• I am so, so sad to hear of Paul’s passing. Although he may not remember me pestering him at past ACCE conferences, his research was an inspiration to my own, very recently completed PhD work. He contributes an amazing legacy that will continue to inform the way we educate Australian students.