As we race towards the end of 2023, and look forward to some quiet relaxation or an exciting holiday – according to your disposition – there are a few items we’d like to share with you.
1. Congratulations to Donna Buckley from John Curtin College of the Arts who has received the Prime Minister’s Prize for Excellence in Science Teaching in Secondary Schools, in the 2023 Prime Minister’s Prizes for Science.
Donna’s passion for innovative ways of making mathematics and cybersecurity more engaging has had a significant impact on both science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) educators and students in Western Australia.
Donna Buckley has been on the Board of the Mathematical Association of Western Australia (MAWA) for 15 years. She works closely with the review of the Australian Curriculum and is the author of the MAWA Mathematics Essential Textbooks Units 1 to 4.
Donna is also a member of ECAWA, and made very well received presentations at the 2022 and 2023 ECAWA State Conferences.
See more at on ECAWeb in the “News” section at https://ecawa.wa.edu.au/2023/11/29/congratulations-donna-buckley/ where you’ll find links to information and videos.
Again, our congratulations to Donna on being recognised at the highest levels. Well done!
2. The ECAWA Committee is trying to put in place some professional learning opportunities for the beginning of 2024, and would appreciate your input.
Initially, we are looking at PL for teachers of the new Computer Science course, and would like those interested in this course to answer a few questions, to help us to fine tune plans. More information and a link to the short survey is on ECAWeb in the “News” section at https://ecawa.wa.edu.au/2023/12/10/computer_science_pl_2024/
In our next ECAWA Update there will be a link asking about other professional learning needs, particularly in Digital Technologies.
3. If you can be in Sydney on the 16th and 17th of March 2024, consider attending ICTENSW DigiTLL (Digital Technologies, Learning & Literacy) Conference 2024.
Note: You must be an Individual Member, Country Individual Member, or on the teaching staff of a School Member of ECAWA to be eligible to win the prize,
5. Check out the School Holidays at Scitech page at https://www.scitech.org.au/school-holiday/ and if you have not already done so, consider scrolling to the bottom of the page and subscribing to the free newsletter that will keep you up to date with all things Scitech in 2024.
6. Please ensure that your ECAWA membership is still financial.
Remember that while some memberships fall due for renewal at the end of March, others are due to be renewed at the end of September. Check your previous Tax Invoice (attached to the email sent to the address you gave when you made your membership payment) for the renewal date.